There are five sections in this course:
- Population Health and Healthy People 2020
- Medline Plus: Supporting the Public With Easy-to-Read Consumer Health Information
- An Introduction to PubMed: Finding Peer-Reviewed and Evidence-Based Public Health Articles Surveillance
- Previewing Ongoing Research With HSRProj
- Scenario Practices
There are review questions and “Try it Yourself” scenario integrated in the module to provide you with an opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills presented in this module. In addition, section 5 is designed for you to apply the knowledge using the presented scenarios.
Public health professionals interested in advancing their ability to locate reliable health information. This may include public health nurses, community health workers, academic researchers, policy makers, and epidemiologists.
At the end of this training module, you will be able to:
- Discuss population health and its relation to Healthy People 2020
- Describe the purpose of MedlinePlus, PubMed, and HSRProj databases
- Identify when to use each database based on the information need
- Perform advanced searching techniques to identify more accurate results
Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals
Domain 1: Analytical/Assessment Skills
- 1A4. Uses information technology in accessing, collecting, analyzing, using, maintaining, and disseminating data and information.
1 hour of MLA CE (Medical Library Association)
Presenter(s) and/or Content Experts
Derek Johnson, MLIS
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Flash Player
Register a free account
Creation and/or update
Released April 2017