1. Title: Organizing Your Lab with Lean 6
2. Keywords/Themes: The 6S principles
online course explains the use of Lean 6S principles in organizing the physical
workplace for efficiency. The course shows how to eliminate the four types of
waste: mistakes & reworks, excess inventory, unnecessary transporting and
unnecessary motion. To accomplish this, the six sequential steps of Lean 6S are
explained in detail and illustrated with photographs as well as graphics.
Examples of Lean 6S initiatives at the State Hygienic Laboratory in Iowa
reinforce the results that can be accomplished by employing these principles.
Additionally, the course includes several interactive sections to engage the
user. This course provides a solid basis for anyone who is considering the use
of Lean 6S principles in the workplace.
Intended Audience: laboratory staff at all levels, from those in
ancillary services to laboratory directors
5. Learning Objectives:
After completion of this course, the
participant will be able to:
• Identify 6S as a form of
• Identify the steps/sequence
of the 6S Process.
• Recognize and discuss the
four forms of waste addressed by 6S principles.
• Discuss the nature and
importance of the planning process.
• State the primary purpose
of each step in the process.
• Describe key tools or
methods used in each step.
• Identify benefits achieved
through the 6S process.
6. Pre-requisites/Learning Level: No Pre-requisites
7. Competencies addressed: Policy Development/Program Planning Skills, Financial Planning and Management Skills
8. CEUs Offered: None
9. Cost: Free
10. Modality/format: Online Self-Pace
11. Length: 1 hour
12. Presenter(s) and/or Content
Experts: Lorelei Kurimski, MS
13. Technical requirements:
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Flash Player
14. Registration requirements: Register a free account
15. Creation and/or update: January 6, 2015